- Club History
- Club Committee
- Commerical Opportunities
Formed in 1950 by the Glaister Family, over the 60 years since Bolton-Le-Moors Car Club has developed into one of the premier car clubs of the North West, providing a means for the people of Bolton and the surrounding areas who are interested in motoring and motorsport to meet, compete in and organise motoring events.
The aims of the club have remained unchanged from those early days when David Glaister and others bemoaned the fact that there was no local car club and that those who were interested in motorsport needed to go outside the town.
Supported by his brother, Bill Altham, Mick Ellis, George Smith, Denis Baker, Vernon Pilkington, Fred Snaylam, John McCartney, Freddy Morris and Mr Ainsworth, the club was founded on 10th June 1950.
With the name deriving from the old name for Bolton and the club adopting a badge which situates the town’s coat of arms at it’s cente, the club gradually grew from strength to strength as it served the town’s need for a motorsport organisation.
The club became affiliated to the RAC and started to run events including the ‘Bolton-Le-Moors Rally Driving Tests’. Taking place initially in Rivington, the event soon moved to Blackpool and the number of entries outgrew the area. With approximately 20 different test sites, including the use of the lower promenade, the event proved to be a huge success.
As membership grew the club became a limited company in 1958, with the club being incorporated on 7th March. At the time it cost just 10s 0d (50p) to join the club. The annual subscription for an individual was £1 1s 0d (£1 5p) and a joint membership was £1 11s 6d (£1 71p).
The Bolton Rally started to be ran during the 1960s. Held on public roads in North Wales it quickly became one of the country’s premier events, gaining a reputation as a tough event – the last time it ran there were 6 finishers. Running until the early 1970s, the event was over taken by the Midnight Rally, as after being first run in the early 1960s, it was resurrected a decade later.
A classic road rally, it was run on roads across Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire. After being selected to be a round of the ‘Motoring News’ & BTRDA Championship it was renamed the Bolton Midnight Rally to reflect it’s past. A popular event it was named as the best BTRDA Road Rally in the late 1970s.
The late 1970s also saw the start of the Clubmans Rally, organised for competitors at club level as opposed to the ‘Motoring News’ and BTRDA championship event. It started as a road rally, but went onto become the club’s first stage rally in 1985 when this format became popular. Renamed the Neil Howard Stage Rally in 1986 after Neil, secretary of the rally at the time, fell from the back of the vehicle while helping to set up the stages, the event has now become the club’s premier event and attracts competitors from all over the country.
Having been held at Aintree Race Circuit, Haydock Park, Park Hall and at Melbourne Airfield, the event has now found a home at Oulton Park. Held in November, each year, when up to 90 competitors take up the challenge offered by the venue, the event has continually grown in strength being named ANWCC Rally of the Year in both 2012 and 2014.
Throughout the 1980s the club added the Bolton Autotest to its list of events it organised. A round of the RACMSA Championship for a number of years the event guaranteed the appearance of the best autotesters from both sides of the Irish Sea. Originally held in the car park of Bolton Moor Lane bus station on cobbles, it since moved onto the car parks of the greyhound stadium in Bolton, Burnden Park, River Street Car Parks and the M61 Motorway Services. For many years, Warburton’s Bakery sponsored the event with competitors receiving a ‘goody bag’ of their products at the end of the event.
While this event has unfortunately fallen by wayside due to a lack of suitable venues, the club now organises a number of AutoSolos and Autotests that are rounds of regional and local championships. AutoSolos in particular have become popular in recent years and as well as organising five events throughout the year, we have a large number of club members who compete.
On the social side the club originally met at the King William on Chapelton Road, before moving onto the Jolly Crofters in Horwich, the Railway Hotel in Bromley Cross, and the Beehive in Horwich. For the past few years the club has settled in its current home of the Horwich RMI Club.
Club President: Graham Darcy
Chairman: Stephen Mather
Membership Secretary: Steve Cawley
Social Secretary: Sheila Cawley
Club Championship Secretary: Jack Mather
Secretary: James Swallow
Treasurer: Jo Evers
Committee Members: Darren Spann, Chris Fletcher, Chris Beamish, Dave Graves, Mike Donovan, Steve Price, Eric Wilcockson, Peter Sharples, Ian Perrott